Turning a $10 frame into a Gallery Frame



The bottom line is: custom framing is expensive.
I love big frames. I love matting. I want lots of it. I don't want to spend the money for it!

So, here's what I did instead....
I went to my local Goodwill and picked out a frame with potential (not ANY frame will do... you need a frame with good lines). Goodwill originally had it up for $20, but it was a half off sticker -- so $10. Here's my lovely, outdated frame:


What I consider a "frame with good lines" ;)

 I then got spray paint in my desired colors (gray + white) and sprayed away! 
Yes, matting can be spray painted. Woot.


 Two coats for each.

Well, here's where I went wrong: my original frame wasn't exactly 20x30 as I thought... it was for a CUSTOM SIZE piece of artwork, so while it fit vertically the matting was too long on the sides. 
*cue sad music*
So, I went to a craft supply store to see if they could cut me a 20x30 to place inside.
Sure! For $50!

Not. Happening.

I opted for the $7 large piece of matting and spent a half hour cutting it with my x-acto knife.
Hey, it worked.


Lesson: make sure the matting is the correct size prior to buying the frame! 
Save yourself that extra $7 and hassle.
--------------------------------

Note: My 20x30 is printed from Shutterfly. Usually $22.90 for a 20x30 but shutterfly has so many amazing deals and freebies and coupons that you rarely have to pay full price for anything.

Comments

  1. You're like McGyver but better; improving lives and saving bad old frames, tables, chairs, just about everything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts